Tuesday, January 27, 2009

When Your Heart Only Weighs Ten Pounds...


I haven't said much about this, because I don't want anyone to say anything about it. Remarks make it harder. My Fallon Reese is only ten pounds. And this is quite the feat for her. She grew normally for the first two months of her life. And then things changed. She weighed 8lbs. 2 oz. for four months straight. She has since worked her way to 10lbs as of last week. We've been to Primary Children's Hospital and done every test imaginable, put her on the early intervention program where she recieves in-home physical and occupational therapy bi-monthly, been to upper-gi and lower-gi doctors, and we go every two weeks to the doctor for check-ups and weight checks. In addition, we have to keep food journals and power-pack her every bite (ie. a bowl of cereal contains 6 items, (cereal, a fruit or veggie, either sugar, olive oil or karosyrup, vitamins, Polycose, formula, and water.)) She is "normal" in that all of the tests have been negative. She is behind on her gross motor skills, (hence the therapy), but a few months ahead on fine motor skills, and right on track with her verbal skills. She is a happy girl. She is my heart, and I thank my Father in Heaven every day for her presence in our home. She is loved very much and she has a smile that will make your heart melt into pieces. All of that being said, I never knew how much it would ache when your child is diagnosed as a "Failure to Thrive" baby. I never knew how hard it would be to have every single person that is supposed to be "helping" also be the same people questioning you as a parent. I never knew how crazy it would be to hear stories of other mother's in the same situation that "put" their children there. I know my Savior has been holding my hand throughout this entire process. Changing doctors twice, seeing so many specialists, searching for answers. Defending myself. It has been a trial. It continues to be so amidst so many others in our lives.
Fallon, I love you. You are my heart outside of my body. I love your spirit in our home, the joy you bring to my life, the sweet sister you are to your siblings, you are our world. Thank you for choosing us. I love you.
Love,
Mommy

15 comments:

Jessica said...

I love you Jamie Girl! Hugs!

CORYNN AND JER said...

Cute pic of Fallon! Thanks for your call last night - I was rocking Clayton to sleep, but I'll call you sometime this weekend.

Emily Rasi-Koskinen said...

She may be tiny, but she is so adorable, that picture is killer! You are a fantastic mother, there is NO doubt about that. Love ya!

reggstyl said...

Such a cute picture of Fallon. Thanks for sharing your concerns. Love you Jamie!

Lacey said...

That's crazy! Addysen only weighs 15 pounds and she and Fallon aren't that far apart. our pediatrician has said nothing about it. Elodie was pretty much the same way.

I'm sorry to hear that doctor's are questioning you as a mother! how hard!

Keep your head up Jamie! You are a wonderful person!

That is a super cute picture of little Fallon too!

Destination Davis said...

Thank you to you all!!!

Alacey,
All of my kids were like Addysen, not 20 lbs. until they were at least two....but Fallon flat lined for four months....so that kept her smaller longer. All of my other kids stayed on their own curves, (although extremely beneath the "normal" curves...) I suppose Heavenly Father breaks the mold with each one of us. Fallon is just special. Although, a lot is genetic....I wish the Dr.'s thought that way....

Erika W said...

I love to watch her in Relief Society! She's got a whole lot of spunk in that little body! Jamie, you are a total inspiration as a mother and don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise. I just love you and your sweet family.

Chrystal said...

Yeah!! Fallon is so lucky to have you. My brother-in-law Jon (now 26) was my mother-in-law's youngest and was also said to be a 'failure to thrive' baby - - he is darn smart and doing great. I know Fallon is loved and cared for and that Heavenly Father is with you every day. Love you! Be sure to save this post (and adorable picture) for her when she's older ;)

stacey said...

I forgot to tell you last night that I'm glad you still have these sunglasses. I remember when Kirby wore them as a baby - Fallon looks so cute in them also. :) Weren't they from Aunt Karol? I think so. Anyways, I'm so proud of Fallon getting up to 10 pounds. We pray for her every night, and Jeff usually says "Baby Fallon" to refer to her when we pray with Jacob. Thanks for chatting last night!

david and michal said...

you are a beautiful mom, jamie.

Paige said...

Hi Jamie! Fallon is absolutely adorable! I'm sorry for everything the doctors, etc, are putting you through. My oldest was diagnosed as FTT at 17 months, and it was such a hard trial with all the testing, nutrition appts, food journaling, power packing, being told he may need a feeding tube, and the threats of social workers coming to your door if we couldn't "make him gain weight". A lot of his problem was finally attributed to his food allergies, and they backed off. He's now doing great! Still fairly small (23 pounds at 3.5 years), but very healthy and happy. So I just wanted to say that I do understand! I too wish the specialists would take genetics more into account. You're doing a great job, hang in there!

Kari Pierson said...

Hey Jamiekins!

First...darling picture of Fallon! She's a sweetheart! Second...keep your chin up! Katelyn wasn't ten pounds until she was @ 16 mon. old. Although she wasn't FTT, she was a 10 wk. preemie. She barely hit the 50% curve at her kindergarten check-up! I remember the questions, accusatory looks and feeling like I needed to do more. BUT- There's a reason for everything. Keep doing your best and trust in Heavenly Father.

ctarbet said...

Jamie,
I read this post back when you first posted and was going to tell you to talk to Paige, but didn't feel it was my place. Now that she has commented on her experiences, I wanted to tell you to call her. She has been through this and I know you can lean on her for support. Looks like you have tons of love and support here with your friends and family. We love you and hope that Fallon improves soon!
--Courtney

Anonymous said...

Davis family...you will always have your family and friends to hold you up out of the waters while the storms are rough, and in the end when they subside our savior is there holding our hands. Know that our thoughts and prayers are with you and know that our Heavenly Father has a plan for us...even when it is not our will. I love you guys and miss you tons. Hope not to be strangers so long b/t visits.

trishanna said...

jamie you rock as a mommy! it was nice to see you last night and im so glad to have found your blog.